In 1877, a humble boat landing was constructed on Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania's largest natural lake. Colonel Frank Mantor, a visionary, discovered and purchased the property and convinced investors from the Pittsburgh, Shenango, and Lake Erie Railroad to extend the railroad line to a newly built resort on the site.
In 1892, Exposition Park - A permanent fair exhibiting machinery and livestock - was founded. Amusement rides were added alongside hotels, cottages, restaurants, and other businesses. The resort grew into an amusement park and was renamed Conneaut Lake Park in 1920.
Conneaut Lake Park illustrates the evolution of this lakeside resort with images of long-gone attractions such as the Hotel Elmwood, Temple of Music, Jungle Cruise, Fairyland Forest, and Wild Mouse.
Michael E. Costello has been visiting Conneaut Lake Park since the mid- 1980s. He co-produced a documentary about the park in 2001 and has even worked as a ride operator.