Lots of new Stuff here!


The building on the left side of this view had its last use as the Skooter building.  This is where the entrance to Lost Kennywood is now. The Pippen roller coaster can be seen in the background.

The bridge has changed numerous times throughout Kennywood's history and the present one sits just where the original one did.

Times have changed since this photo was taken a century ago.  The Restaurant is in the background.

The Old Mill, first built in 1901, celebrated its 100th birthday in 2001.  

This photo from the teens showcases the Casino (restaurant) which has been standing since 1899. The Casino was placed on the register of historic places in the 1980's. Inside, its original tin ceilings and exposed wooden beams were fully restored.

Primitive describes this view of Kennywood right after the turn of the last century.

Kennywood still uses the same basic layout with the Lagoon in the middle and the walkways that lead around the park.

In this photo, taken on the lawn of the office building, you can see the Carousel pavilion in the background as well as the Casino (resturant) in the forground.

The Jack Rabbit, built in 1921, is the fifth oldest operating roller coaster in the world. Due to high insurance costs many amusement parks have removed the double-dips on their coasters and replaced the cars with new ones that had adjustable lap bars. Kennywood however, has retained the Jack Rabbit's double-dip and old cars that still have the leather strap to hold you in.

This is really one of the most changed sections of the park. Now this area is where you can find the Kennyville stage, Noah's Ark, and the Potato Patch.

Lost Kennywood now occupies this site.

In this 1926 view of the park you can see the 1899 restaurant and Merry-Go-Round buildings, both of which still stand. The large bandstand in the background and the pony track in the foreground are long gone.

This is a view of Kennywood in 1941 with the Penny Arcade, the dance pavilion and Lake Kennywood, and the Sportsland Building.

Caption:  One of the largest and finest amusement parks in the United States.  A wonderland of pleasure for the entire family with every kind of outdoor amusement device including a mammoth crystal clear swimming pool and beach.  Not to visit Kennywood is not to know Pittsburgh.

Caption:  The unique Noah's Ark is a big favorite at Kennywood. Its long darkened passages provide surprises at every turn.

A great Kiddieland view of the 1930's.

Caption: Kiddie Land in Kennywood Park, the great playground between McKeesport and Pittsburgh, Pa.


This picture was taken from the Jack Rabbit loading station.   In the rear are the Rockets and the old Dance Pavilion. 

Caption:  A pictorial view of one of the finest amusement parks to be found anywhere.  Here, every year, thousands of people enjoy the beautyful picnic grounds, the many rides available and the large, modern swiming pool.  The park provides free parking space, free outdoor shows and many other attractions.


Laff-In-The-Dark, long gone, is survived by Laffing Sal which is still laughing at Kennywood.

Caption: A wonderland of fun is this famed amusement park, one of the largest and finest in the United States. Here in an atmosphere of wholesome relaxation, thousands of Pittsburghers and their out-of-town quests visit annually.


The Racer, built in 1927, is still a unique ride.   This 1960's view of the midway shows the extensive use of Art Deco on the buildings.  Here the original facade of the Racer has been covered.

Caption: Boating on the lagoon is one of the many diversified activities at this famed amusement park. Visitors to Pittsburgh from throughout the United States enjoy wholesome relaxation here each summer.


The Olde Kennywood Railroad, which has had many different names and themes over the years was first known as the "Gimbals' Flyer." These streamlined Art Deco engines were first used in the New York World's Fair 1938-39 "the Century of Progress." Kennywood purchased and brought the train to Pittsburgh at the conclusion if W.W.II.

Caption: This miniature railroad takes Kennywood Park visitors on a trip along the edge of a plateau overlooking the mighty Monongahela River, which annually carries more tonnage than the Panama Canal.


Since the 1930's miniature golf has been an attraction in Kennywood.  It is now survived by Shorty's Miniature Golf which may be on it's way out for the 2002 season.

Caption:  One of the newest and most colorful courses of its kind anywhere.  Here is truly a garden beauty spot.  It abounds in floral displays and rare beauty.


The art deco park office in the rear of this view was built in the 1930s.  Since then it has been stripped of it's streamlined look and has been enlarged. 

The Ghost Ship was the final theme of the 1899 Dance Pavilion. In 1975, the historic building burnt to the ground.

Caption: Inside lurks who knows what, when you take a trip through the Ghost Ship. It's one of several popular dark rides at Kennywood.


When Kennywood's huge band shell burned, it was quickly replaced the following year with the Starview Plaza. The Raging Rapids white water ride now occupies this site.

Caption: Free concerts each Sunday and holiday afternoon and evening are a tradition at Kennywood. Top television and recording stars are featured.


Kennywood's old Kiddie Swan Ride was a miniature version of the park's Old Mill.  The Lil' Phantom kiddie coaster now occupies this site.  The circular building in the background, the kiddie changing station, complete with miniature toilets still remains, although Mother Goose has since moved to the Storybook Forest section of Kennywood's sister park, Idlewild & Soak Sone.

Caption: A real joy for the small fry is Kennywood's Kiddieland one of the most complete anywhere.  It has 16 rides, many of them miniatures of the large thrill rides.  1967


In the 1960's the bridge was decorated in a space age decor.

Caption: Kennywood Lagoon is a popular spot in the big amusement park--and who cares if you don't know how to row!


Remember the "Big Blue Whale"? The whale was removed in 1996 in a major renovation that included the complete rebuilding of the ark and mountain.

The Ferris Wheel in this view is gone now but it once stood about where the Log Jammer's entrance and queue lines are now.  Behind the Ferris Wheel you can see the Star Refreshment Stand which is still standing and the massive dance pavilion, which is now gone.

The Skooter building, built in 1898, was demolished in 1981 to make way for the Laser Loop.   Before this building housed the Skooter, it housed various fun houses with revolving barrels, slides, wacky mirrors, and the like.  The left corner of the building is about where the entrance to Lost Kennywood is now with the miniature golf course to the right.

Caption:   No driver's license is needed on the skooter, one of Kennywood's most popular rides.  The cars go "bump".


124.jpg (47757 bytes)

In the 1960's the Racer's second facade was replaced.  This facade has since been removed, and the original, fully restored.

Caption:  This scene depicts a few of the many attractions at Kennywood; Pittsburgh's famed amusement park, where one may enjoy wholesome fun and relaxation during the summer months.


This early 1980s view of Kennywood shows little change.  The buildings have been altered a bit and the old aluminum row boats are gone, but the Jack Rabbit and all the colorful lights, shimmering on Lake Kennywood after nightfall hasn't changed at all.

Caption:  The Lagoon at Kennywood takes on magic hues at night, as thousands of lights flucker across the water among the boaters.


The Log Jammer, Kennywood's first multimillion-dollar ride, was built in 1975.   Interestingly enough, the Jog Jammer was also the first (and only) Kennywood ride to snap your on ride photo.

Caption:   The final splash on the Log Jammer, after a 45-foot drop.  This water ride is the park's family favorite.


Lovable Kenny Kangaroo, Kennywood's mascot has been bumped aside with the arrival of Garfield and Odie.

Caption:   The mascot, mayor and favorite muppet at Kennywood is Kenny Kangaroo.  His antics delight the little tots and amuse the big folk.


This photo shows the Racer and its original trains. These trains were very much like the Jack Rabbit trains with the unadjustable lap bars.  In the 1980's the four original trains were replaced with three new trains from the Philadelphia Toboggan Company.

Caption:  Kennywood is the "Coaster Capital of the World" and the Racer is one of the reasons why.  One of the park's four traditional wooden coasters, its riders compete all the way.


The Laser Loop, Kennywood's first steel roller coaster was removed in 1991 to make way for the Steel Phantom.  If you still want to ride this ride you have to go to a park in Mexico that purchased the ride after Kennywood dismantled it.

Caption:  The Laser Loop catipults its riders into a thrill-a-second journey, as they go both forwards and backwards through this 72-foot high verticle loop.  It's breath-taking!


In the rear of this post card of the Pirate, you can see the loading station to the Laser Loop.  After the Laser Loop was removed, the loading station was moved and reused as the loading station for the 1990 Steel Phantom.  It is now used for the Phantom's Revenge roller coaster.

Caption:   Set sail on one of the wildest ships to ride the sees.  It's the Pirate, one of Kennywoods many family thrill rides.


This is a view of the Enterprise in 1978. 

Caption: Up and around and upside down.  You don't have to ride the Enterprise to see why it's such a thriller for the young and young at heart.


The Wave Swinger, added in 1984 was originally located wiere the seating area for the Kennyville Stage is now, across from Noah's Ark.  For the 1994 season it disappeared and the following year reappeared in Lost Kennywood.

The Wonder Wheel, which once offered a perfect view of Kennywood, was removed for the 2000 season to make way for the Aero 360. The Wonder Wheel lives on however, in the same Mexican park as the Laser Loop.

Caption:   One of Kennywood's newest attractions, this ninety-foot high thriller is popular at  America's finest Amusement Park 1986


Caption:   Just like when Great Grandpa was a boy, it's a ride through the century in a horseless carriage, one of the many ways to spend a day at Kennywood.  1989

Caption:   One of two amusement parks to be given National Historic Landmark status, Kennywood shows off its plaque from the National Park Service in this beautiful garden setting.  1989

Caption:   Dusk at Kennywood brings a whole different glow to the park, as this view of the Wave Swinger with its thousands of light bulbs indicates.

Caption:   "King of the Coasters" is what the New York Times said about the Thunderbolt.  It is unusual in that its last drop is the biggest.


In 1995, Kennywood built the largest addition to the park, in its history.  Lost Kennywood is a celebration of Pittsburgh's long gone or "lost" Luna Amusement Park.

Caption:   Pittsburg was spelled without the "h" at the turn of the century, when Luna Park opened.  This entrance to Lost Kennywood is a reproduction of Luna's.   1995


Caption:   Pyrotechnics light the sky above Kennywood's world-famous coasters during Grand Victorian Days - the first week of July.  It's a celebration of the era during which the beautiful amusement park was born at the end of a trolley line.

Caption:   Official mascot of Kennywood, Kenny Kangaroo, loves the Log Jammer.

Kennywood and its sister parks, Sandcastle, also in the Pittsburgh, and Idlewild Park, in Ligonier.

Caption:   Greater Pirrsburgh is blessed with some of the finest amusement parks in America.  Each is distinctive.   All three provide a day of fun apiece.  1998


Caption:   Fun comes in many ways at Kennywood, and not just on its famous roller coasters.  Boating on the Lagoon is a favorite way to add to the happy times.

Caption:   One-of-a-kind rides are a trademark of this 100-plus year old park.  The Jack Rabbit coaster alone has a double dip; The Choo Choo came from the 1938 New York World's Fair; the Auto Race is the last in existence; and the turtle has a few siblings left.

When the Steel Phantom was built in 1991 by Arrow Dynamics, it was the fastest and tallest coaster in the world. With its 225 foot drop into a natural ravine, and speeds of nearly 85 miles per hour, it was ranked in the top ten of roller coasters.  Even during its final season in 2000, it ranked very high.

When Kennywood reworked parts of the Steel Pantom into the new Phantom's Revenge, a tradition was continued.   In 1968, Kennywood did the same thing with the old Pippen roller coaster.   Parts of the 1924 Pippen are new part of the 1968 Thunderbolt, just as parts of the 1991 Steel Phantom are part of the 2001 Phantom's Revenge.

Kennywood Park Links

Kennywood Park
Kennywood Connection
Lost Kennywood Crew Webpage
Kennywood Crew Page



Email Mike's Historic Amusement Parks.

Enter Here!

Copyright © 1999-2014 Mike Costello. All rights reserved.